WAAW Foundation’s annual scholarship initiative is aimed at supporting need based African female STEM-focused college education. WAAW Foundation awards annual scholarships to students who demonstrate need and prove their status as full time students in a STEM related course in an African University.
Recipients will be required to start a STEM Outreach Chapter at their university.
Application deadline: November 30, 2018.
Please read the eligibility criteria before you apply. All non qualifying applications will be automatically deleted.
Criteria for eligibility includes:
- Female students of African origin, living and studying in Africa.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate B.S.degree program.
- Studying STEM related courses in a University or college in Africa.
- Demonstrable financial need.
- Excellent Academic Record.
- Below the age of 32 years.
- Graduation date is after December of award year
Please note that WAAW does not fund graduate (Masters, MBA or PhD) programs, second or subsequent degrees, students older than 32 years, non-STEM focused courses or Diploma degrees. There are no exceptions to these requirements.
ACCEPTED AND UNACCEPTED COURSES
Enumerated below are the list of accepted and not accepted courses. Please note that there are no exceptions to the courses listed.
Accepted Courses: Agriculture, Aircraft engineering, Architecture, Bio Medical, Biochemistry, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Civil engineering and urbanism, Computer Science, Construction technology and management, Economics, Electronics Engineering, Engineering Agriculture, Environmental Health, Environmental Science, Food Science Technology, Genetics, Geography, Geology, Home Science Nutrition and Dietetics, Industrial Chemistry, IT, Math related fields, Natural Science, Pharmacy, Physics, Science related fields, Statistics, Technology, Zoology.
Unaccepted Courses: Accounting, Agriculture Economics, Anesthesiology, Arts, BA degree, Banking and Finance, Business Administration, Business Information Technology, Business Statistics, Catering/Hospitality, Commerce, Community Health, Dentistry and Dental Surgery, Developmental Studies, Diploma, Economics, Education/Teaching, Finance and Operation Research, Financial Management, Gender Studies, Graphics Design, Guidance & Counseling, Health Education, Health Information Management, Health Sciences Management, International Finance, International Relations, Journalism, Law, Library and Information Sciences, Mass Communication, Math Education, Matric, Medical Lab Science, Medicine and Surgery, N2, National Diploma, Nature Conservation, Nursing, Paramedics, Political science, Procurement, Project Management, Psychology, Physiology, Physiotherapy, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Public Administration, Public Health, Real Estate, Recreation and Leisure Management, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Secondary Studies, Secretarial Studies, Social Science, Social Science in Economics, Sociology, Supplies Chain Management, Textile Technology, Tourism and Hospitality Management, Veterinary Medicine, Welding and Fabrication Engineering, Wildlife and Ecotourism Management.
HOW TO APPLY
Your application will include the following:
- Application form filled out completely. Only online applications will be accepted this year.
No paper applications will be accepted.
- Personal and Contact Information.
- Educational background and Family Information.
- Statement of need describing why scholarship funds are needed and what the funds will be used for if received.
- Essays are a strong criteria in determining candidates who are short listed. Responses to essay questions that address career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship to assist in your education. Please have your essay responses ready before you begin the application.
1. In 500 words or less, please write an essay on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW foundation scholarship to assist in fulfilling those goals.
2. In 300 words or less, please describe what you believe about female education in Africa and its impact on research, development or advancement in African economies.
3. Describe in ten or less sentences why you need a scholarship. Tell us about your need or personal/family/financial situation and how the funds from WAAW scholarship will assist your education and/or career plans.
- Two academic/professional references. Please note that recommendations and transcripts are not required at this time. Only after a candidate has been shortlisted will the recommendations and transcripts be required. However, you must provide the names of 2 references in your application.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Please complete all sections of the application form and submit all required materials to WAAW foundation by the deadline. Application may be completed online.
Only shortlisted candidates will be required to send the following additional items in order to complete this process.
- 2 references; one must be written by a professor from your institution of study and the other from an academic supervisor/adviser or mentor. Reference forms should be downloaded from 2018_ScholarshipReferenceLetter and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A copy of a current signed and sealed transcript from your University to be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 1.888.519.4269 or to be mailed to:
WAAW Foundation Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1691, Wylie. Texas 75098.
*Scanned copies of original transcripts may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A copy of the student’s School identity card must be scanned and emailed.
Click Here to Begin your application.
For further information or inquiries please email: email@example.com
Application Deadline: November 30, 2018.